March 10, 2020
Friends… are you “that guy” at the party! We all know the one. He shows up late, empty handed and like he has never eaten before. He is loud, talks only about himself, drinks all the drinks and then wonders why he is going home alone, again, and why no one ever wants to invite him to things! THE WORST!
Social Media can be like a super fun cocktail party – hello – it’s a Social! 🙂 You get all dressed up (awesome photos), share super fun and witty stories (captions), and search for new and interesting friends to meet and connect with (hashtags). But it has to be a two-way street. You have to bring a nice host gift (solid content), you need to ask questions (calls-to-action) and you definitely need to be a great wingman/woman and introduce your friends to others (tags and comments). Most, importantly you need to shut up and listen!
I know, way harsh, Tai!
If you want to build an online community, if you want engagement and real genuine connections, then you have to be willing to listen to what your audience has to say.
Here are just a couple of ways listening can help you build content and community:
- – Find out pain points or what customers really want/need
- – Uncover trends and topics that your aligned audiences are getting fired up about
- – Become a customer service rock star – answer questions, provide feedback and fix problems quickly to turn haters into brand ambassadors
- – Ask and you shall receive – use the question sticker, poll feature or add a question into a caption. Then make sure you read and respond to each one!
- – Hashtags – use those hashtags based on your products or services to discover what others have to say about it
Ok, if you have made it this far pat yourself on the back as you really are listening!
We will leave you with this…
If there was a problem, Yo, I’ll solve it, check out the hook while my DJ revolves it…
Listen, Listen Baby! We Out!